Learning is becoming a little sweeter now that a telephone-based study organisation is promoting its service with Shavuot recipe cards. More than 1,200 cards have been produced by Phone and Learn (PaL) for distribution to kosher stores in London, Manchester, Glasgow, Birmingham and Bournemouth.
PaL believes the cards will not only give recipients a taste for cheesecake brownies, but encourage them to join the 500 weekly users of the Torah learning service.
Programme coordinator Judy Silkoff said: "The cheesecake brownies are really delicious - I've made them for my family and they were certainly appreciated. But more importantly, we're hoping people will remember that Shavuot has far greater significance than tasty cheesecake. This special festival can be the perfect springboard for learning more about their Jewish heritage," she added.
PaL's Cheesecake Brownies Recipe
For the cake
• 110g dark chocolate or chocolate chips
• 110g butter or margarine
• 150g caster sugar
• 60g plain flour
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• 2 medium eggs
For the cheese
• 225g cream cheese
• 50g caster sugar
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 medium egg
• Preheat the oven to 160°c/315 f.
• Grease a 9" square cake tin.
• Melt the chocolate with the butter, add the sugar and stir, then cool slightly.
• Add the eggs, beating after addition until the mixture is very glossy.
• Sift the flour and salt, fold into the mixture and set aside.
• For the cheesecake mixture, beat the cream cheese and sugar.
• Add the vanilla essence and egg and mix.
• Spread the cake mixture in the prepared tin, evenly top with the cheesecake mixture and gently swirl the two together using a sharp knife.
• Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until just set in the middle.
• Leave to cool for 15-20 minutes before cutting into squares.